2006-07-09

Blasted Compiler!!

I have experienced different results from two different compilers with basic operations so I think I know what the author[s] of IZArc is talking about.

I received many emails from people that have problems with archives containing files with non English filenames. Also some peoples ask me for x64 version of IZArc. Unfortunately I can’t help them because IZArc is created using Borland’s Delphi but it doesn’t support Unicode names and can compile only x86 (32-bit) applications. That’s why I decided to rewrite IZArc using Microsoft’s Visual Studio 2005 (Express Editions are not applicable!!!). To be able to do this I have to purchase a licensed copy of VS 2005 and probably some additional components. Anyone who wants to support IZArc can donate some amount of money and help me to create one better and more reliable version of IZArc. Just follow this link and donate as much as you want (change the quantity field for more than 25$).
IZArc is my favorite application for handling compressed files [for Windows] because it's not much of a resource hog and it can read/write TAR and ISOs. I want to donate but I can't. I'm also curious why the author[s] didn't choose to make it open source. It's not like they're going to lose anything. Should that explain the need for VS 2005, that's a pretty hefty price tag?

iRant has moved. Click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home